Saturday, February 16, 2019

Jakar School-take a moment to reflect

Jakar has it's meaning deeply rooted in our history. Lam Ngagi Wangchuk, great-grand father of eminent bhutanese leader Zhabdrung Ngawang Namgyal, one day he saw a white bird flying where the present Dzong stands overlooking Chamkhar valley. Taking it as a good omen he left the old site which was under construction, and started where bird has nested. The name ‘jakar’ literally means ‘white bird’ derived from the incident aforementioned. Jakar school takes its name from the nearby Jakar Dzong. On 25th September, 1961 the school was founded as a Government Secondary School. In 1983 it was upgraded to a Junior High School. In 1995 the Education Department further upgraded this school into a High School. In 2002 it was upgraded to a Higher Secondary School offering Arts and Commerce streams. Science was introduced in 2004. In 2014, the school was among the 19 schools to be granted the autonomous status. Since then many have passed from this school with excellent performance not only academically but also in their personal life. Some worked in best and prestigious position while some are still in the making. I feel proud to be part of this school and tell others that once I was a student there. 

Old academic block 
In 2008, I became a part of Jakar family. Majority of my friends were native Bumthap and I was one among few who belong to other districts. For the first few weeks I had a bumpy ride but I managed to adjust with Bumthap Doro’s. Though Bumthap’s language is completely different from my mother tongue, It was not new for me since I knew Khengkha which has a similarity. This gave me an advantage to adopt fast with their culture. I think knowing a language always carries plus point wherever one travels. Oftentimes I was teased for my Tshanglakha’s accent which couldn't completely get off me, even now. Despite all those ups and downs for three years, Jakar school always remains close in my heart. 

MPH at the back
It is human psychology that if you want to be known by others, either you should have done something best or either worst. It is more sad  to know that I am in neither of the category. Average students (like me) are not easily recognized and known in the school. I know some of them personally and some of them knows me personally for remaining average through out schooling days. Can that be foreshadowing our average life in the later part? Maybe or may not be. I can't assure. Because, for me, nothing is difficult than understanding life and to predict future based on current way of living, it still is not my cup of tea. After all destiny keeps on changing. But most interesting fact is everyone of us got to share our own story whether it is good or bad or whatever you may call. And I too have my memories which I'll cherished in a years to come in my life. 

Walking around the campus area alone with cell phone, taking pictures, I vividly remember my past days. I have tried to narrate some of my incidents below. 

Class XII block those days
When I was in tenth grade in 2008, I used to be quite a shy guy but not as shy as you may think after reading this. I chose to stay inside the classroom instead of mingling and going from classroom to classroom like some of my mates did.  Teachers who did not knew me personally perceived that I was a good guy but my subject teachers complained that I annoyed them often. And yet there were some staffs who knew me beyond classroom and they showered their parental kind of care (I still visit them). I mean they loved me for being me.  More over I used to wear an oval shaped spectacles similar to that of a great Mahatma Gandhi and therefore I was a target to get teasing. I had to change my spectacle frame the very next year. Not because I didn't like Gandhi but because I hated being teased.

way to boys hostel
Just in front of computer lab I have a fond memory of frog jumping right after the morning assembly. Almost 90% of us did frog jumping for misbehaving. I think, um, it was attitude problem with us. In the previous afternoon, we had a basketball match between two classes and all were mandated to witness. I was watching with my friends, of course the one I acquainted recently, when many of our seniors started jeering. Referee who happened to be a tough teacher, paused the match and scolded spectators in general. I was disheartened for getting scolding for the thing that I did not commit. Slowly many started vanishing from the event and I too followed them. The punishment was for not attending the match till the end. Remembering that incident, I laughed to myself. 

My final year at Jakar is most memorable to me. I think that year was also spiritually connected to me. It was that year when I got an opportunity to recite vajra mantra at Kharchu for ten days. His Holiness Namkhai Nyingpo Rinpoche visited Jakar school for the first time and blessed us. That was also a year when I performed a tape dance for the first time in my school life. The song is close to me. With well choreographed by my friend, Hinghi Meto became a must talked topic. I think we were received well even during Youth Festival held at Wangdichholing school. One of the reporters from Bhutan Broadcasting Service shot dance video but in a different song which never got released due to some issues. I even lost the copy of that video clip which they gave to us individually. It was shot in Bumthang at different sites. However I might be known for my another MTV which was screened during ‘Annual Awards Night 2010’. Some of you got me right? Sorry for the poor performance though. Initially it was shot to learn editing but somehow it went viral within school campus. I could have done better than that eh! Not now. 
New assembly ground & basketball court

Today the campus has changed drastically. There are many buildings. Our potato farm has turned into a library room but the old basketball court behind the academy block is still alive hosting unorganized futsal game. I could see lots of improvement in the school but nothing helped me bring my wonderful memories back. If there is one thing that didn't change, it is school uniform and my uniform: both are red.

Reference;

Www.jakarhss.edu.bt

No comments: