Saturday, November 21, 2020

My Neighbor Next Door



Friends, I haven't told you about a friend next to my room. I'll introduce you to this person that I think you'll like. It has been completely three years since we knew each other. The monks, not to mention only students, even seniors know him because he is such a hilarious guy. We call him Pemba which of course is his good name. 

But frankly speaking, occasionally, this guy irritates me. I will share how he does this. 

Every morning, Pemba would knock on my window's glass while I would be busy with my prayer. When I look at him, he would show me his weird facial expressions to amuse me. I would smile if my mood is good otherwise he would see me in a different way. He hardly gets exhausted to keep me entertained but I get fed up, sometimes, with him.  When I show angered face, Pemba would pretend to vanish and reappear when he knows that I've restored into normalcy. Once again, I'll have to pretend to jump down the throat, to avoid him from my sight. I would giggle, then.  This is how two of us greet.

You won't believe me what kind of stories Pemba has and that I heard some of them from him. Although I can narrate all I won't for some reason. Those that I'm going to share are highlights of his life, so far. 

Pemba lost his mother at a very young age and was brought up by his father and elder siblings. His father got married to another woman and left, yet never missed affection under his elder sister's care. But mother is mother only. Nothing can replace her. You and I know that. Nevertheless he was sent to school though he was slower than rest of the mates. I was told by Pemba that he had to repeat each grades. Friends of his age left him and he had to cope with another batches. Of course he would easily cope up. His life took a different direction one day and that has changed a lot. He was traveling between Zhemgang and Gelephu in his cousin’s car. Upon regaining consciousness, he found himself in the bed and had a pain when he tried to move. So he asked sister, only to know from her that he had survived an accident two weeks back. He could tell me not more than that. Because he could recollect not beyond this. The luck has turned in a different form, I say, because it was that indelible incident which pushed him to spiritual path. 

It was not easy for him, especially when he had to study and do examinations in the monastic school too. Once, Pemba, just like any other monk, was assembled in the examination hall. He got dismissed from exam hall. He was laughing hysterically when he shared me how his teacher whipped him on that day. Why? You know, his shaky hands didn't allow him to write properly. Instead wrote a word and filled the space that was provided to accommodate whole monastery name. This infuriated his teacher. Logically I do not see fault with Pemba but that's how life is. Unfair! There should have been better options for him. Is written exam only an option? 

His story doesn't end here. Pemba enrolled to study in higher Buddhist studies which means he will have to face exam for next ten years. He will have to pass the grades in order to complete in time and it was obvious he won't make through such. However, he tried, he failed every attempted examinations for two consecutive years. Since examination is not ultimate aim of Buddhist studies, he was granted under special consideration and exempted from most feared challenge of his life. Today, he goes to the class regularly and receives oral transmission but I find him holding pen, mostly scribbling. He even goes to practice jaling-Tibetan Trumpet. If you cannot enjoy the fruit of success in this life, you've next life. He believes in this. 

To me, to you, to some of us, such kind of life will be harder. The way my neighbour handle his life is awe-inspiring. I see him living life in such a way that sometimes, I feel, his stories are meant to boost when I get low. 



No comments: