Thursday, September 16, 2021

Sunday Getaway at Kurjey: circumambulating 108

It is not a new trend to see many people walking around statute, monastery and stupa unless you're a known buddhists (excuse the pun). As a Buddhist we believe in walking round the sacred monument as it bestows unlimited merit. I can relate the story of a wild boar who unknowingly circumambulated stupa when chased by a pack of wild dogs and was born in the  higher realm. Suffice it to say when an animal without intention could be born to higher realm there's hardly any room to express what awaits for rest of us who wishes wellness for every sentient beings in our daily prayer. If there's profit from dharma, even with iota of an effort,  why not invest droplets of dharma water to make the big ocean?

Kurjey Lhakhang 

On Sunday I decided to go Kurjey Lhakhang for the likely reason with Jurmey which took us one-hour to complete ten rounds. So far we had completed thirty of hundred and eight under the scorching sun. Though tired of walking around the monastery it was a satisfying day for us, memorably the pain of walking fast. Do not blame me if you think that I'm too judgemental but I feel guilty for seeing a monk in Kurjey chasing dogs using catapult, it was more than what Jurmey and I made fun of mange dog's graok. It was completely, unhesitantly saying, hypocrite and ill manner to even think let alone act. I confess myself before you all for the unnecessary downfall dharma practitioners like us have created. I've been through double-edged consequences many times, this is hard to avoid, yet I repent me of all I did. 

He isn't such a glutton. Only a pose. 

Munching carrot.

Apart from accumulating non-conceptual wisdom there's also physical health benefits, experts have praised walking as the best way to burn calories and a good exercise as it doesn't demand physical strength. 

Keeping a track of every round with the help of pebbles. 

I’ve heard from a fellow bhutanese's who promise to make at least hundred and eight rounds at Drakarpo in Paro once in their lifetime. Many knows the benefits: both mental and physical, if I'm not wrong, this place was blessed by the great Guru Rinpoche. I have always wanted to visit in the near future; it's only that my procrastination pushed it away. 

Kurjey is one of the oldest and most sacred historical evidence to the outside world. It dates back to 8th century when Padmasambhava came from India upon the request of chief Sindhu Raja to settle a dispute with the local deity. His visit became crucial moments in the history of Mon Yul—the dark place. Had it not been Sindhu Raja and local deity, Bhutan might not have been Bhutan. Hence this, I believe, was a special connection in brining the doctrine of Shakyamuni to a place initially known for producing cannibal demons. Later, many Buddhist scholars and saints visited this place as per the prophecies and kept the legacy without disruption. Even these days, there are devotees as far as America, China, Japan, Taiwan, Singapore, Malaysia, India, Nepal etc who gladly spends handsome amount only to get a glimpse of Kurjey.  If this is the case,  Bhutanese traveling outside for pilgrimage's should keep wits about themselves. Are we not rich spiritually? 

Kurjey through my eyes. 

Whenever I visit, I'm incredibly moved by the blissful energy of Kurjey, it will be a poignant reminder to read this diary and see the pictures when I've a more number of gray hair. 

Pempa make sure to come Kurjey every weekend's. 


No comments: