Tuesday, June 25, 2024

The Fading Excitement: My Journey with the Kangyur

I've been busy this whole Vesak month’s weekends, participating in a mission to bring welfare to beings. My contribution has been simple: going from one home to another, reciting the Kangyur, which contains Buddha’s words translated from Sanskrit to Tibetan.

Young monks

Monks reciting 
Last Sunday, even though it wasn’t Vesak month, I had the chance to recite again with the monks from Tamzhing and Trongsa Rabdey at Kurjey Lhakhang. This annual program is usually initiated by a group of contractors, who I believe are ex-monks, during Vesak month. However, due to our tight schedules, they had to postpone it this year.

Monks having porridge/thukpa

Having Paneer Thukpa 

I'm sharing this because seven years ago, I encountered a Kangyur booklet for the first time in this same monastery and for the same cause. I was struck by the size of the paper and the way it was wrapped. Having never seen such a giant book before, I even took a picture and posted it on my Facebook story that day.

During break time

Now, after reciting hundreds of volumes, the initial excitement has faded. I no longer feel the same curiosity or eagerness to recite. Over time, these interests have either vanished completely or diminished significantly. Perhaps it has become such a routine part of my life that the excitement has gone unnoticed.



No comments: