Monday, March 30, 2020

My Friend Lost His Close Brothers To Canine Distemper

Early this year I travelled to Samtse. It was just another unprepared plan which took me to a southern foothills. I did not had any reason but to meet my friends who were also expecting me since some years ago. I already started missing them as I'm writing this. 

It was my second time to Samtse so I was likely to face some confusions. In order to avoid such, I informed Deepen Raj Ghalley, whom I call him with first name only, to receive me at the bus stand, since another friend was engaged being a teacher. Instead of receiving, he was asking if I would be comfortable to come home with his mother, who works as Sr. Nurse at Samtse Hospital, as he has to stay with two brothers. Two brothers? You've brothers? Thought to myself but didn't ask him. I told him that I would be happy because aunty treats me like one of her sons. But when I inquired ticket counters, ticket was available for afternoon bus only. I didn't want to wait longer.  Hence I booked Tendu bus hoping I would manage any car once I reach Samtse town and board Chengmari from there, in that way I wouldn't have to wait aunty. I must be a fortunate guy to get Tendu bus which means my destiny was on the way to Tendu where I could drop in between. By the way, bus was old and worn out. I adjusted for at least three hours.

Deepen with Jomboo (left) and Jimba 
Deepen was waiting for me on the road. He knew when the bus would bring me. I was ushered by him, to a newly built house, after walking some two minutes off the road. After we got inside the house I immediately knew that his two brothers were Joombo and Jimba, when he called them. They were two little puppy, three months old, brought from Punakha. By looking at the kennel and food, I could easily make out that they were treated no less than brothers by Deepen and family.  

I felt quite awkward when I saw Deepen dedicating most of his time in nurturing those two little. Of course he knew what went into my mind. It is not that I don't love animals. I dearly love them. And I've a story, I was in second standard, about how I cried going near a little puppy that had died suddenly without ailing symptoms. Few years later I lost another puppy. I went searching from villages to villages but in vain. Only I will know the pain I went through. When I couldn't handle such emotions that's where I decided to not develop close affections with animals.

But I also knew how much he loved them. He sleeps with them. Cleans their pooh. And enjoys with them during his bored time. It was everything for him. I know Deepen since college days and everybody knows how lazy he used to be. I was surprised when he woke early at six o'clock to cook for his brothers. I was happy that he has picked up some good habits. If I've to, I should have thanked two dudes for such treat Deepen received. Apart from this Deepen has grown mushroom in a small scale which he plans to enlarge if business goes well. 

Recently Deepen shared me in grief that he lost his two little brothers to a Canine Distemper. Entire family is moaning at their lost. I know how dearly they loved the puppies. Even I was disturbed upon hearing the news. 
I tried to console him but he was unhappy with the fact that many dogs are still succumbing from the infection and there's no other people taking the matter seriously. There must be something done in order to save the life of innocent dogs. Many dogs have paid their life, irrespective of age and health.

At the moment all he can do is watch in helpless and let them die helplessly. 

'I'm totally devastated man.' Received Deepen's WhatsApp text last night. And today is almost seven days after he lost his dear brothers yet he couldn't reach to a normal. 

I pray for their birth into a heavenly realm.

Deepen adopted two other stray dogs but already lost one to the disease. Blacky, in the picture, will be the fourth dog to die from the Canine Distemper. Can't imagine stray dogs situations! 

No comments: