Saturday, November 20, 2021

Class Picnic 2021

William Shakespeare said, "All is well that ends well." Our class officially closed smoothly yesterday and today we went for a dry picnic at Kurkubithang which is roughly one and half hour's walk from the monastery. 

The moment we arrived picnic spot, not even bothering anything, some of them started to prepare for football. I do not know why football is one of the most admired games in the world. Craziest are monks who would do anything for football. Yes everything! But I've never been influenced by this game although I remember myself playing football twice in a grand celebration during college days and that was only on final matches. By the way, not because I was ace player in the class but because we had only 13 boys in our class and by default I had to play. I remember how horribly I played with satisfaction. You must have noticed when someone plays football for the first time. 

So today as I was listening to a new (not really new) Bhutanese song in tshanglakha, Nan gha dengay, by Tenzin Tashi in SoundCloud. In the middle of a song there's a line and at that instant it touched me. It says ‘…aii…yongba….jung...’ which loosely translates into ‘foolish me.’ Really I was foolishly watching while everyone was involved with the games they enjoy. There's none but myself who's  watching them play football and khuru and still get full satisfaction just by sitting there and watch them play. To be honest, I've never been good at any (outdoor) games throughout my school days. Indeed I've been a good spectator so far. And yes it is worth watching when you're not good at entertaining. 

Many believes in memory and I too remember my bygone days while in the process of making some new memories. 

Here are some pictures from the spot. 

About to reach our spot

Playing football and in the back is khuru

Playing Khuru.
I bet a sum of cash Nu.100/- to anyone who hits the first target. Surprisingly he took away the prize as shown below. 

I placed the cash after his hit. 

Jurmey hails from a remote part of eastern Bhutan. He was appointed a games captain during primary school but he didn't pursue any games seriously.
He was playing football with heart full of joyfulness. 

And here's a coach as many would tease if you do not play any games. 

These guys tasted chicken curry. And sorry I forgot to mention that the chicken had to be cooked here since it was auspicious day yesterday. So meat shops were closed. They bought today and cooked while rest of the edible items were cooked from the monastery. 

Lunch break. 

After lunch break I returned to monastery. Many of them remained behind with their games program. It was a day spent meaningfully. 

No comments: